Welcome to my journey in life: thoughts on God, homeschooling, and anything homemade. (I took this photo of my eldest in April, 2017.)

June 4, 2011

Bohemian Rhapsody

I was born in November.  Heaven help me, I am influenced by the mighty scorpion and all that goes with that.  Am I into astrology?  No!  I am not.  However, I do believe that God ordered the universe and I happen to fall into a category of people who are, shall we say, a wee bit emotional?

I have met others like me and most go off the deep end; they dress in either bright colors of handmade tie-dyed fabrics or they go in the opposite direction wearing nothing but long black skirts and bright red lipstick with loads of jewelry.

I, on the other hand...look normal.  I dress normal and try to behave normally in most situations.

Then suddenly it happens and the scorpion strikes at me.  I get overly sensitive and needy.  I have the urge to go to Hobby Lobby and start a brand new project which will cost ridiculous amounts of money.  I lie in bed sobbing over something I did weeks or even years ago.  I make STUPID decisions.

The Giant can't usually figure it out until the PMS is too grandiose to ignore.  Then when he confronts me with it another emotional tirade ensues. 

But this is me.  It's who I am.  Now I have learned to temper it because it really ticks people off sometimes.  I see the world as one great big opportunity.  Everything ahead is an adventure until some pessimist convinces me that it is hopeless.  Trust me when I say, the last thing the world needs is a pessimistic scorpion! 

Optimism is our trademark because with it, we actually believe we will change the world for the better.  No kidding. We do.  We believe that wholeheartedly.

I have sometimes surprised myself at things I have done in my life.  I have had some great successes.  I have lassoed the moon and pulled it to earth on occasion.

In the past ten years though, I have let myself become too grounded by convention.  I had Big Girl eleven years ago.  Then she was followed over the years by Mr. Happiness and Pigeon, and I seem to have become Old Mother Hubbard.

Now convention can be good.  A little dose of realism is very good for us artistic types, otherwise we would move to an artists colony and never grow up.  But too much can steal our dreams, and when that happens, well; it's not good.

You see we thrive on the challenge.  Give me a task and say it's impossible and I will do it exceedingly well.  This is how God made my brain.  I can't help it.  It's a fact so just go with it. 

However, big word of warning; we instantly recognize patronizing.  Don't just agree with us to walk away and say we are nuts - we'll know.  We always know!  Ask our husbands.

Maybe we should all run for congress?  Just kidding - we don't have a vision for that - too conventional.

So today I am embarking on embracing the bohemian in me and the realization that just because I am a mother, I do not have to be conventional.  I am a bohemian home school mom and I must embrace that.  I will educate my children well and I will teach them that my passion for life is not misdirected, as some think, but a blessing given to me by God to be lived out in a passionate display of joy.

Want to come along on the journey?  It may be a roller coaster at times.  I can't promise never to get angry, or cry, or paint the walls purple (actually, I hate purple)...red, I mean; but I can promise that it will be an adventure.  We will laugh together at the tears we cried over spilt milk, and we will walk in the abundance of God's amazing garden, and each day will be full.

Ready?  

God bless!

No comments: