Welcome to my journey in life: thoughts on God, homeschooling, and anything homemade. (I took this photo of my eldest in April, 2017.)

August 17, 2011

The Place for Angels...is Heaven.

This year has been a tough one.  It actually started last year with my Uncle's death, then this year my Grandma died (March).  My husband has lost family members, most recently his Uncle Joe.  While attending Joe's funeral I got a text from my lifelong friend since 7th grade - her daughter had passed away at the age of 21.

Elle was a charmer.  Always smiling and pleasant.  Laughter was a trademark and her smile would light up any room.  I didn't know her well yet I knew that she fought mighty battles with ne'r a complaint.  She was born with a disease I can barely describe and spent her life on strong medications which tried to control her raging immune system.  Sometimes she won the fight, sometimes she would fight for weeks in hospital.

I mostly had to listen from a distance while her mom relayed the information and made numerous trips from Colorado to Arkansas.  It's a long drive and not an easy one.

We can learn so much from her, though.  I certainly can.  Her simple joy in living every day.  Her smile despite many reasons to frown. 

I think about this as I contemplate the past year and all of my frustrations with loss, moving, and failures.  What would Elle do?  She would probably put on her ipod and sing some great classic rock-n-roll tunes.  The kind you and I grew up with.  She'd login to facebook and chat with friends, upload a few pics, and then hang out with her sister before calling it a night.

Time was not her friend and yet she never fought it.  I do.  I fight time.  All the time!  So I'm going to take a page from Elle's life and make it a reminder to me that time is not the enemy.  Thank you Elle for the example.

Elle was small, petite, blonde, and beautiful.  An angel in anyone's book.  She was our angel and as everyone knows, angels must return from whence they came.  So Heaven welcomes her home, and we will miss her.  God bless you Elle, our love and prayers are lifting you higher.  Lord, receive her into your loving arms.

Elaine Elizabeth Hamilton
June 1990 - August 2011

No comments: