Welcome to my journey in life: thoughts on God, homeschooling, and anything homemade. (I took this photo of my eldest in April, 2017.)

August 23, 2011

How Dry Am I?

So we moved into a house that sits on a lovely 1.2 acres.  Well, it was lovely.  Before the grass died.  Before the trees started wilting and the elephant ears turned brown and flopped over.

It all looks so dry and thirsty.  The little water we give them doesn't help much.  I think about all of my great plans to dig up and replant and create lushness.  Hmmmmmm.  Lushness, the very word is an oxymoron.

Did we ever have lush lawns and problems with flooding in Houston?  It's hard to remember those days.

I used to laughingly say we lived in a swamp.  Houston is, after all, pretty much a giant swamp filled with bayous, marshes, and Spanish-moss laden trees whose roots bathe in the moldy, marshy mud.

Lovely vision, isn't it?  Funny though, I've come to love that greenest of greens and lushest of foliage covered plants, be they succulents or deciduous.

In Oklahoma the brown of the prairie is a staple in life and in Summer, it sucks the green from everything.  By September one is longing for Autumn.

When is it going to rain?  Please Lord, let it rain.  I don't want Texas to turn into the prairie.  (Okay, I know some of Texas, well a lot of Texas is prairie but not the part where I live, mostly,)

I'm channeling swamp right now - could really dig it.  Swamp would be good.  Even with the snakes and alligators that come with it - okay well, not in my backyard, but in the wild swampiness where they live.

Just a wee, little bit of rain to dampen my flowerless flower beds and my formerly grass covered yard would be so nice.  A nice cool shower to sizzle against the hot metal of the gutters and metal flashing that longs for relief.  Oh, to sing in the rain!

Heck, I would sing in a hurricane.

Well, a mild one anyway.

I can't stand driving around in this heat!  I just want to hibernate inside and avoid the heavy blanket of yuck that awaits us out there.  Tomorrow is our out day - lessons and more lessons.  Hot SUV (black interior - ugh).

Here's an aside; we have begun letting the cats have the roam of the house at night.  We used to keep them in the utility room to sleep, but I feel they've graduated from old house to new and have earned some privileges.  It'll take some time, however, for me to get used to hearing things falling in the night.  Frantically, I leapt out of bed the other night thinking one of the kids had fallen down the stairs or something.  Oh no, just cat antics.  Whew.

So back to the drought.  Or not.

Next post will be fun, and floppy, and cute.  Needs pics though and I, along with many others in same house, am pooped.

Night.

No comments: