Welcome to my journey in life: thoughts on God, homeschooling, and anything homemade. (I took this photo of my eldest in April, 2017.)

April 15, 2011

Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

I just signed Jamie Oliver's petition for the food revolution.  While watching episode 1 of season 2 I began to cry as the loads of sugar overwhelmed the fake poster board kids inside that school bus.  I don't know what got me more, the vast amounts of sugar or the tiny crowd that showed up to watch it.

After watching season 1, I changed some things about my kids' diet.  First I eliminated the choice of chocolate milk that was sitting on every shelf in every restaurant at which we ate.  I simply told my kids that they could have the white milk, not the chocolate.  At first they would say, "But why?  I like this better."  I replied that it was loaded with extra sugar and would make them really excited and then really tired and that that wasn't good for them.  You know what?  They didn't balk.  Nope.  They reached their rosy little hands up and grabbed that white milk and drank it down, no more questions asked.

Since then we are white milk only and no regrets.

Today he exposed some disgusting habits the USDA uses to add filler to hamburger meat used in school lunches and packaged in grocery stores.  It made me sick.  Let's just say ammonia is not an ingredient I would expect to be in my meat purchases.  Surprise, surprise, surprise. Ugh.

I am now going to lobby that all grocery stores supply free wifi so that I can take my laptop and google info on everything I want to purchase.  Seriously.

I won't even mention the high fructose corn syrup issue in this post, but I will say we need to take back our government and our rights.  Whether it's schools, food, or pharmaceuticals Americans have let these big companies gain far too strong a foothold inside our government and they are killing us using a weapon that is almost impossible to fight:  our own ignorance.

I'm mad as a hornet that my government thinks I'm dumb enough to fall for this nonsense.

I want full disclosure from the FDA, the USDA, the Health Department, on food labels and everything I purchase that MIGHT EVEN SLIGHTLY cause harm to my family if I bring it home.  Then I have no one to blame but myself.

Come on moms, get mad with me and join Jamie's food revolution.  Then let's band together and take on city hall, Congress, and more!

Here's to fresh food and healthy eating, God bless.

No comments: