Welcome to my journey in life: thoughts on God, homeschooling, and anything homemade. (I took this photo of my eldest in April, 2017.)

March 8, 2011

In like a lamb...

March is supposed to be one of those months when things change.  Except this year the mundane is hanging on for dear life and I am drowning in it.  It's the move - I know it.  I just got a quote of $1350 to paint three rooms.  Are you kidding me?  So, with my money safely in the bank I will once again don my painters pants and begin the seemingly endless process of getting this house ready to sell.

I suppose I need to think like a lamb since that is how the month is proceeding.  Think like the Lamb.  Okay, rather than view this as a chore, I am now embarking on a little adventure that I am only sharing with you.  I've been reading a lot about serving others and I desperately want to be able to do that in the midst of my chaotic-moving-stressed-out life.  So for the future owner of this house I offer a gift:  I will paint with you in mind.  I will pray over these walls that they bless you.  I will paint each stroke in the hopes that you love the colors and they feed your soul the way these old colors fed mine.  I will carefully stroke the colors on and not spill or make silly mistakes because I do it with care for you. 

I cannot guarantee you will love it or even notice that it has been done this way for you.  You may even choose to paint over it the minute we're out of here.  But the prayers won't get painted over.  They will last forever and hang here and hopefully you will add to them. 

If these walls could speak they would tell you that I have been struggling now for several months.  This move is hard and I'm failing to find joy in every moment these days.  But I'm turning over a new leaf.  I was hoping for a lion as March approached - a  mighty roar to shake me out of my mood.  Instead a still small voice is speaking so softly that I can hardly hear it.  Painting is quiet work.  In the stillness I will pray, and you are invited to pray too if you like.

Bless these walls and these rooms.
Fill this place with peace.
Let this building be a home
For us, and for those yet to come.

I thank you Lord with every stroke
For giving us a lovely home
A place to laugh and live and love
A place to share our memories.

In the leaving help us find grace
A gift to leave behind.
So those who follow find in corners
Blessings, comforts, and Christ's love.

Now I am going to go paint!  Funny - it doesn't seem like a chore anymore!

No comments: