Welcome to my journey in life: thoughts on God, homeschooling, and anything homemade. (I took this photo of my eldest in April, 2017.)

February 18, 2011

Valentines

Thinking about Valentines Day always makes me remember things I am drawn to...all things Victorian (architecture, fashion, jewelry, bric-a-brac, etc), primitive antiques, old linens, pearl handled fountain pens with inkwells, calligraphy and - oh, yes - antique valentines.

With all good intentions each year I set out to do some great crafting on this day.  Yet with typical craziness getting in the way and altering the plans I am amazed that we can actually get organized and get to the table with scissors, glue, and supplies in hand.  But we did!

We had already made beautiful boxes.  The girls chose boxes made of wood and we primed them with gesso and then painted them.  Makenna taped off sections of her box to paint white and it looks darling (see photo above).  They then added stickers and ribbons and as usual, I had to stand by and yell "Whoa!" when it looked like sticker overload was about to occur!  We talked about balance and Makenna realigned her stickers so that they matched on each side.  The result was terrific and she was very pleased with it.

Maggie's box looks like her personality - cute, charming, bubbly, and capricious.  She was very particular about the stickers and decos and there were many times when she would interject, "No, Mom, not that way!  I want this, instead!"  She certainly knows her mind.

Brennan's box is pirate themed and since it was made out of cardboard we primed it too.  He had chosen a metallic paint (unknown to me at the time) and it was a little tough to get the paint to go on even.  He was very patient and gave it three coats.  Then the stickers kept peeling up so I had to modge podge them down in places for him.   But what a great result!

So with the boxes ready it was time for the creation of some really great valentines to go in them.  I don't know if you find store valentines uninspiring, but I sure do.  Yet inevitably I end up buying them because the kids like them.  However I am making a vow, right here and right now that next year we will make them ALL by hand.  I've seen so many cute ones on blogs recently and so I am pledging to myself to use forethought and planning next year to make some of the darling cards I've seen.  Please hold me to it!

So there we are at the table with good friends and our goal is to make a "Victorian" type of card.  We have cards and doilies, stickers and lace, ribbon galore and stamps.   The kids are very intent on their goals and without much coaching, begin to assemble their cards.  Maggie goes for the stamps, Makenna for the stickers.  Brennan heads outside to play with his friend Wells.  "Bye boys! Behave yourselves!"

It's just us girls.  What took considerable thought to prepare and purchase took about 7 minutes to complete.  Amazing.  I'm stupefied that all this is over in a moment and the girls each walk off pleased with their creation, ready for the next activity.  There's me though, still at the table thinking, "I want to make one too!"  So I place the items here and there on my card and doily and think about what will make it look just right and who will I give it too.  I move a thing or two and then, pleased with the final look, grab the glue dots (okay, nothing Victorian about those but wouldn't trade them for Elmer's any day!)

Here's my result.  It's still waiting to be given - it might even have to wait a year.  But it's pretty to look at even if it did only take seven minutes to make.  Reminder to self - hunt for antique valentines online for inspiration and use more pastels next time.  Oh, and you forgot to ink the edges!




No comments: